Employer reference: REF715M
Shawbrook is a specialist bank driven by a purpose to power up ingenuity to create opportunity, every single day.
We offer a diverse range of savings and loan products. From personal and business savings accounts and loans for wedding and new cars, to complex financial credit facilities for businesses requiring significant investment and mortgages for landlords with multiple properties – no two customers are ever the same.
We give our customers the best-of-both worlds; uniquely combining strong digital capabilities with human expertise and ingenuity to deliver the best outcomes. We rise to the challenge of a complex case or unconventional circumstances, and we love to make things happen. By being creative, practical, and personal, we know we can always find the right solution for our customers.
If you’re willing to roll up your sleeves, contribute new ideas and believe anything is possible, you’re our kind of person
Work with us because you:
- Want to be part of a bank built for the dynamics of the modern world
- Relish a challenge and enjoy a fast-paced, innovative and hardworking culture
- Enjoy finding new and better ways to solve complexity and make things happen
- Want to belong to a diverse culture that stands shoulder to shoulder with minority and underrepresented groups
- Care about society and the environment and want to be part of a business that cares too
- Want to continue to grow professionally and be the best version of yourself
The Role & Responsibilities
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF JOB
Shawbrook is driven by a purpose to solve complex problems that unlock opportunity for its rapidly growing customer base. In Group Internal Audit, we care fundamentally about a successful Shawbrook, delivering brilliantly for our customers and colleagues.
We are on a mission to redefine the boundaries of internal auditing. Our strategy is to continue building an internal audit function that is fit for the future. We are doing audit differently to rise above traditional functions and embrace innovation, insight, and growth to build impactful ways of working. We are here to ensure that we are doing the right things for our customers by handling their data responsibly and ensuring that our processes are set up to achieve their banking needs effectively. We are driven by the need to accelerate our contribution to the success of Shawbrook by powering up ingenuity to create opportunity every single day.
We are seeking a forward-thinking Data Scientist to join our dynamic team. This role is tailor-made for a professional who not only thrives in dissecting data but also in crafting innovative solutions using advanced statistical techniques such as Machine Learning and AI. Your analytical ability will be instrumental in navigating complex questions and providing innovative solutions in providing assurance over emerging challenges. If you are a data enthusiast with a gift for business communication and a passion for nurturing team capabilities, we invite you to join us on this transformative journey with us.
KEY ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engaging in descriptive, diagnostic, predictive, and prescriptive data analytics, translating complex scenarios into actionable insights.
- Building your own workstreams in support of our existing strategy for analytics, and helping us to work towards our future state vision whilst meeting the needs of the function and helping us to deliver on our roadmap.
- Collaborating with the internal audit colleagues to identify and define value driven business questions and the pertinent problems we are aiming to provide assurance over.
- Responsible for the development of analytics, as part of our data journey, throughout the internal audit lifecycle i.e. audit needs assessment, audit planning, fieldwork, reporting and ongoing issue validation.
- Using advanced statistical techniques such as Machine Learning and AI to analyse both core and non-core business data.
- Spearheading the automation of data analysis processes to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
- Effectively develop business relationships and communicate data-driven insights in business terms, facilitating informed decision-making.
- Supporting our function to provide greater assurance and insight by empowering team members by enhancing their data literacy and analytical capabilities through workshops and training sessions.
- Proposing innovative ideas to improve analytics systems and processes within the team and encourage a data literate and best practice mindset for all within the team.
- Fostering a culture of innovation within the team, encouraging the adoption of cutting-edge data analysis techniques.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
The successful candidate could come from a variety of backgrounds:
- A forward-thinking IT or risk professional from any industry. Strong & proven quantitative analytical skills within analytics functions within financial services would be advantageous.
- Proven experience in data analytics, with a portfolio demonstrating innovative use of Machine Learning, AI, and automation in business contexts.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to dissect complex data and distil it into simple, actionable insights.
- Ability to present findings & analysis in a structured and well-thought-through way, particularly when addressing a non-expert audience.
- You have team working capabilities and an ability to build strong individual, team and stakeholder relationships.
- You have a creative and innovative mindset, open to exploring novel approaches to problem-solving through the use of Machine Learning, AI, and automation.
- You are experienced in facilitating workshops and training sessions to enhance team capabilities.
- You have a degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, or a related field. Advanced degrees are a plus.
More generally the candidate who will thrive in this role at Shawbrook will be open-minded, have an appetite to learn, to challenge and be challenged, flexible about the way things get done and approach the role with an appetite to grow and develop.
- Self-starter with a passion for data
- A growth mindset, open to learning and adapting in a constantly evolving field.
- Collaborative spirit, with the ability to work harmoniously with diverse teams.
- A visionary thinker, capable of foreseeing the potential impact of emerging data trends on internal audit processes.
- Strong stakeholder management skills with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to take calculated risks, try different things and use data to get to better answers
- Proactive, self-motivated and able to work on own initiative and take on responsibility
Your Wellbeing - We take your health and well-being very seriously by providing a range of benefits to give you and your family peace of mind. These include:
- Market leading family friendly policies such as access to our Maternity, Adoption and Paternity policies from Day 1 of your employment
- Free access to Headspace, a mindfulness & meditation digital health app
- Free access to Peppy digital health app that offers personalised support through fertility treatment becoming a parent or menopause
- EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) - Offering you support on a wide range of subjects including financial concerns, mental wellbeing and more general queries around family, work, housing, and health
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounts on gym membership
- Contributory pension scheme & death in service
Your Lifestyle - It’s important you strike the right balance between your work and personal life. We provide benefits to support you when at work and when you’re enjoying your leisure time.
- Minimum of 27 days holiday per year
- Option to buy or sell holiday days through our flexi-holiday scheme
- Discounts on gym membership nationwide
- Access to discounts on a range of high street and online brands
- Community support and charitable giving
Your Contribution - We’re focused on rewarding those that go the extra mile in helping us achieve our goals.
- Participation in our annual discretionary bonus scheme designed to reward your contribution to our success
- Proudly Shawbrook recognition scheme focused on recognising our role models and thanking our colleagues for a job well done