Employer reference: REF804J
Shawbrook is a specialist bank driven by a purpose to power up ingenuity to create opportunity, every single day.
We offer a diverse range of savings and loan products. From personal and business savings accounts and loans for wedding and new cars, to complex financial credit facilities for businesses requiring significant investment and mortgages for landlords with multiple properties – no two customers are ever the same.
We give our customers the best-of-both worlds; uniquely combining strong digital capabilities with human expertise and ingenuity to deliver the best outcomes. We rise to the challenge of a complex case or unconventional circumstances, and we love to make things happen. By being creative, practical, and personal, we know we can always find the right solution for our customers
The Role & Responsibilities
Purpose & Scope of role
You will be working as a Senior Software Engineer in the product team to provide continuous system improvements and deliver new features, enhancements and functionality using Agile methodologies, ensuring that quality standards are met and that a product delivery focused approach is applied throughout
You’ll work with the QA team, to help create automated tests to ensure the quality of the software and will participate in understanding business requirements during agile ceremonies including backlog refinement sessions taking responsibility for implementing the most appropriate solution, bearing in mind, non-functional requirements around performance and security.
Working with the support team, you’ll assist with deployments and monitoring of services in production. You will also take responsibility for documenting details of system amendments / enhancements in both your code comments and our online documentation system
You must be able to work across multiple facets of projects and be able to juggle multiple responsibilities at the same time.
You will engage directly with IT management, development teams, technical delivery teams, and vendors to ensure the successful design, development, and delivery of technology-based solutions
Key Role Responsibilities
- Working as part of a Product focused team this role is responsible for building and maintaining application software to further our product delivery objectives. As a growing team with a broad remit, this role offers excellent exposure to business users and management where you will be able to clearly see the impact of the work you and the team are doing.
- Determine root cause for complex software issues and develop practical, efficient, and permanent technical solutions.
- Assist in task planning, estimation, scheduling, and staffing
- Mentor Software Engineers to allow for skill/knowledge development through advice, coaching, and training opportunities
- Be a strong voice in all team ceremonies, including planning, estimation and backlog refinement.
- Provide a technical view point in discussions on resource assignment
- Working with the support team to deployment and monitor services in production.
- Taking responsibility for documenting details of system amendments / enhancements in both code comments and online documentation system
- Continually updating technical knowledge and skills by attending in-house and external courses, reading manuals and accessing new applications.
- Maintaining and improving existing codebases and peer review code changes
- Strict adherence to Shawbrook technical standards
What you’ll need…
- ReactJS- To build the presentation layer of new applications, adhering to high standards for customer facing applications.
- Cloud Experience (ideally Azure) - You will need a solid understanding of cloud fundamentals for the wider migration to the cloud as part of our technical transformation.
- SQL - You will need experience with data, both front and back end, to run queries, pull data back, build new tables, index tables.
- Microservices - You will use microservice technology to build our systems using modern design to drive scalability and efficiency.
- Engineering best practice - You will need familiarity with concepts such as DTO / TDD / Unit Testing and SOLID principals to drive high quality coding practices.
Shawbrook is committed to providing opportunities to all candidates, and understand that not all candidates may possess a qualification or education aligned to the role. We will assess each candidate on their individual experience and skills, and not solely on level of education.
Your Wellbeing - We take your health and well-being very seriously by providing a range of benefits to give you and your family peace of mind.
- Market leading family friendly policies such as access to our Maternity, Adoption and Paternity policies from Day 1 of your employment
- Free access to Headspace, a mindfulness & meditation digital health app
- Free access to Peppy digital health app that offers personalised support through fertility treatment becoming a parent or menopause
- EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) - Offering you support on a wide range of subjects including financial concerns, mental wellbeing and more general queries around family, work, housing, and health
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounts on gym membership
- Contributory pension scheme & death in service
Your Lifestyle - It’s important you strike the right balance between your work and personal life. We provide benefits to support you when at work and when you’re enjoying your leisure time.
- Minimum of 27 days holiday per year
- Option to buy or sell holiday days through our flexi-holiday scheme
- Discounts on gym membership nationwide
- Access to discounts on a range of high street and online brands
- Community support and charitable giving
Your Contribution - We’re focused on rewarding those that go the extra mile in helping us achieve our goals.
- Participation in our annual discretionary bonus scheme designed to reward your contribution to our success
- Proudly Shawbrook recognition scheme focused on recognising our role models and thanking our colleagues for a job well done