Employer reference: REF896E
Shawbrook is a specialist bank driven by a purpose to power up ingenuity to create opportunity, every single day.
We offer a diverse range of savings and loan products. From personal and business savings accounts and loans for weddings and new cars, to complex financial credit facilities for businesses requiring significant investment and mortgages for landlords with multiple properties – no two customers are ever the same.
We give our customers the best-of-both worlds; uniquely combining strong digital capabilities with human expertise and ingenuity to deliver the best outcomes. We rise to the challenge of a complex case or unconventional circumstances, and we love to make things happen. By being creative, practical, and personal, we know we can always find the right solution for our customers.
If you’re willing to roll up your sleeves, contribute new ideas and believe anything is possible, you’re our kind of person
Work with us because you:
- Want to be part of a bank built for the dynamics of the modern world
- Relish a challenge and enjoy a fast-paced, innovative and hardworking culture
- Enjoy finding new and better ways to solve complexity and make things happen
- Want to belong to a diverse culture that stands shoulder to shoulder with minority and underrepresented groups
- Care about society and the environment and want to be part of a business that cares too
- Want to continue to grow professionally and be the best version of yourself
The Role & Responsibilities
- To work as a member of the Underwriting Teams in order to deliver the origination levels required by the Division
- The role specialises in larger, complex transactions (£1.25m+) and requires extensive interaction with key stakeholders including Group Risk, Head of Underwriting, National Sales Manager and members of both Complex Deal Forum and Credit Approval Committee
- Responsibilities include the writing of detailed credit papers for submission to Group.
- To deliver favorable customer outcomes in terms of credit assessment and customer experience
- To analyse and understand credit risks being presented and ensure both Asset Class Policies and Lending Policies are understood and respected across First and Second Lines of Defense
- To embed both the Bank and Division’s Risk Management Framework within all activities within the underwriting teams
- The role holder will be required to exercise a delegated lending authority initially of up to £1.25m and participate in ad hoc projects as required
- Accountability for all individually assigned cases and mentoring/advising less experienced underwriter colleagues in reviewing and assessing their respective pipelines
- To act as a subject matter expert for Credit Risk within the Underwriting and Completions teams, engaging with all stakeholders to support the achievement of applicable objectives.
- To communicate and escalate potential issues/risks in a prompt and effective manner.
- To report all issues of regulatory concern to the Senior Manager and/or Head of Underwriting, and/or the, Director, Real Estate Underwriting and Completions, or the Bank Legal and Compliance Departments.
- Ensure complete data integrity and adherence to process.
- Strong experience in Commercial and residential investment Property.
- Deep and broad business and financial acumen
- Significant industry knowledge in the Commercial Property market including a deep understanding of lending practices in that sector, structures, risks, covenant requirements, pricing and competition.
- Demonstrable ability to under commercial analysis of a business both in terms of financial and non-financial aspects.
- Excellent customer service, presentation and negotiation skills
- Experience in executive level reporting on strategic initiatives.
- Thorough comprehension of credit risk management, credit administration, loan production and servicing.
- Proven credit-underwriting skills within either banking or finance industry
- Compliance with all regulatory requirements, remaining in good standing with regulatory agencies.
- Strong commercial, financial acumen and capability in strategic thinking, executive level reporting and effective business planning
- Strong customer/intermediary and market insight
- Knowledge of Consumer Credit Act and Data Protection Act
- Computer literate (good knowledge of MS Office Suite – Excel, Word, Power-Point)
- Knowledge of TCF
Your Wellbeing - We take your health and well-being very seriously by providing a range of benefits to give you and your family peace of mind. These include:
- Market leading family friendly policies such as access to our Maternity, Adoption and Paternity policies from Day 1 of your employment
- Free access to Headspace, a mindfulness & meditation digital health app
- Free access to Peppy digital health app that offers personalised support through fertility treatment becoming a parent or menopause
- EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) - Offering you support on a wide range of subjects including financial concerns, mental wellbeing and more general queries around family, work, housing, and health
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounts on gym membership
- Contributory pension scheme & death in service
Your Lifestyle - It’s important you strike the right balance between your work and personal life. We provide benefits to support you when at work and when you’re enjoying your leisure time.
- Minimum of 27 days holiday per year
- Option to buy or sell holiday days through our flexi-holiday scheme
- Discounts on gym membership nationwide
- Access to discounts on a range of high street and online brands
- Community support and charitable giving
Your Contribution - We’re focused on rewarding those that go the extra mile in helping us achieve our goals.
- Participation in our annual discretionary bonus scheme designed to reward your contribution to our success
- Proudly Shawbrook recognition scheme focused on recognising our role models and thanking our colleagues for a job well done