Lending Manager – Mat Cover
Shawbrook is a specialist UK lending and savings bank founded in 2011 to serve the needs of SMEs and individuals in the UK with a range of lending and savings products.
We differentiate ourselves by concentrating on markets where our specialist knowledge and personalised approach to underwriting offer us a competitive advantage. This supports attractive stable returns and sustainable growth and benefits businesses and consumers in parts of the market which continue to be poorly served by traditional high street banks. Fundamental to our success is a relationship focus which puts the interests of our customers and business partners at the heart of everything we do, built on a culture which stresses the use of our experience and judgement to make decisions that balance risk, return and customer need.
We are looking for a Lending Manager to join our team based in Brentwood on a fixed term basis. As a Lending Manager you will underwrite commercial and trading business (retail and leisure) mortgage applications in line with the company lending policy and manage the application through to completion.
- An ability to adopt a pragmatic approach to underwriting commercial and trading business mortgage applications within approved lending mandate.
- To understand and analyse key items such as credit searches, bank statements, financial accounts, property valuations and business appraisals to make informed lending decisions.
- To deliver high levels of accuracy and attention to detail in data input and all written communication produced.
- Able to develop a rationale for those cases outside of own lending mandate or company lending policy and communicate findings to credit risk department for their consideration.
- To develop successful working relationships with external contacts such as brokers, customers, surveyors and solicitors as well as internal teams such as administrators, lending officers, credit risk and finance to ensure all lending requirements are satisfied prior to release of funds.
- To effectively manage a pipeline of approximately 70 cases through to completion, ensuring both company service standards and the lending policy is complied with throughout.
- To deal with all internal and external telephone & email enquiries efficiently and within company standards.
- Ensure a good understanding of all the company’s policies, procedures and compliance guidelines, installing the principles in your daily practice to protect the company from any associated risks.
- To embrace the principles of treating customers fairly and responsible lending in all decision making.
- To be able to assess the applicant’s portfolio in line with the PRA requirements.
- GCSE (or equivalent) in Math’s and English
- Achieved and maintained a lending mandate for at least 24 months.
- An excellent understanding of the commercial and trading business mortgage sector
- A good knowledge and understanding of legal conveyancing
- Experience of working to tight deadlines
- Experience of working in a team
Technical/Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Computer literate
- Knowledge of TCF
- Good knowledge of compliance procedures within the mortgage industry.
- Advanced at the reading of financial accounts, valuations, business appraisals and credit searches.
- Analytical and pragmatic approach to underwriting
- Adaptable & flexible
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on own and as part of a team.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Enthusiastic “can do” attitude
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Accuracy & attention to detail
- Professional, well presented
- Establishes effective working relationships at all levels
- Customer-attentive approach
- Proactive & Self driven
This role is an SB4 within Shawbrook’s internal banding structure