Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
Shawbrook is a specialist UK lending and savings bank founded in 2011 to serve the needs of SMEs and individuals in the UK with a range of lending and savings products.
We differentiate ourselves by concentrating on markets where our specialist knowledge and personalised approach to underwriting offer us a competitive advantage. This supports attractive stable returns and sustainable growth and benefits businesses and consumers in parts of the market which continue to be poorly served by traditional high street banks. Fundamental to our success is a relationship focus which puts the interests of our customers and business partners at the heart of everything we do, built on a culture which stresses the use of our experience and judgement to make decisions that balance risk, return and customer need.
We are looking for a Cloud Infrastructure Engineer to join our team based in our Brentwood office. As part of the cloud engineering team, this role will focus on working to deploy, migrate and manage the Shawbrook cloud platform on Azure. This will involve working on business projects to help design and build systems on Azure, using IaC with Ci/CD best practice principles to help the bank move towards DevOps.
During this period of migration, there will continue to be a requirement to help build, manage and support the current on-prem infrastructure systems. This will involve general Windows system admin. This role will be part of a team of 5 other Cloud Infrastructure Engineers, who will also be continuing to support the on-prem platforms
This team are working to help transform and modernise the tech-stack at the Bank. As a member you will:
- Use modern IaC "automation-first" CI/CD pipelines
- Work to help create new and migrate old, Shawbrook systems, onto the Azure cloud platform
- Working with projects to help define, design and deploy cloud infrastructure
- Ensure all cloud Infrastructure is built to Shawbrook’s defined standards such as logging, alerting, security and cloud best practice.
- Working as part of the cloud infrastructure team to design long term cloud strategies for the Shawbrook cloud platform.
- Build new pipelines to build and test new cloud infrastructure, including testing of IaC
- There will be some ongoing admin and support for the on-prem systems, including backup management, patching and project resource requirements. This will include Windows Server OS, MS AD Domain management, Exchange, SQL server, VMWare Windows Server Admin (hardware and software in all cases)
- Experience working with Windows server platforms and networks to a high level of proficiency.
- Scripting skills using but not limited to PowerShell, Azure CLI. Desirable: IaC such as Terraform.
- Cloud knowledge of Azure, with ARM templates (JSON coding)
- Understanding and experience with deploying, managing and securing PaaS and SaaS based cloud systems.
- Deployment strategies around IaC, CI/CD concepts and understanding
- Excellent knowledge in the following areas: SQL, Clustering, Hardware server design, VMWare and virtualisation of infrastructure; backup strategy, design and implementation.
- Experience of working in the financial services industry.
- Understanding of core security design patterns for Server and network infrastructure including: Firewalls, Group Policy, Domain user management such a RBAC, encryption, key and certificate management; especially how these translate to modern WoW in a more automated DevOps approach.
This role is an SB4 within Shawbrook’s internal banding structure.