Mortgage Underwriter - TML
The Shawbrook Group is a specialist UK lender and savings bank founded in 2011 to serve the needs of SMEs and individuals in the UK with a range of lending and savings products. Due to a recent acquisition, The Mortgage Lender (TML) is now part of the Shawbrook Group, reinforcing TML’s growth plans with the strength of a retail savings franchise.
TML is a specialist intermediary-only mortgage lender that provides products and criteria that meet the needs of borrowers who are not served by the high street.
TML are currently looking for a Mortgage Underwriter to process new mortgage applications (Residential and Buy to Let), received from intermediaries in accordance with the company’s Lending Policy and service standards.
- Ensuring that all applications and/ or associated documents received into the department are processed, accurately an in a timely manner meeting the department service levels.
- Assess the mortgage application and supporting documents in line with the company’s Lending Policy.
- Review information provided by the Credit Reference Agencies and other support partners including anti-fraud agencies, ensuring a full understanding of the applicant’s credit/ risk profile.
- Review and approve the applicant’s overall affordability results.
- Instruct property valuers to undertake property valuation. Once received, review valuation and assess the key variables including comparables provided.
- The preparation of mortgage offers is a key function and underwriters will have an understanding of the legal implications of any mortgage conditions applied to the offer.
- Develop a full knowledge of the Mortgage Application System and utilise the system to ensure all mortgage applications are processed in line with the company’s service standards
- Lliaise directly with intermediaries on the application ensuring information requested is received as well as providing an excellent level of service to the intermediary.
- Recommend loans to the Underwriting Manager where they fall outside of the lending mandate held. Providing an appropriate rationale.
- Able to demonstrate a minimum of 2 years underwriting experience within the unsecured/ secured lending, residential or commercial mortgage market
- Understanding of the regulatory environment and in particular TCF
- Experience of dealing with brokers and third parties