Team Leader - Underwriting - TML
The Shawbrook Group is a specialist UK lender and savings bank founded in 2011 to serve the needs of SMEs and individuals in the UK with a range of lending and savings products. Due to a recent acquisition, The Mortgage Lender (TML) is now part of the Shawbrook Group, reinforcing TML’s growth plans with the strength of a retail savings franchise.
TML is a specialist intermediary-only mortgage lender that provides products and criteria that meet the needs of borrowers who are not served by the high street.
TML are currently looking for a Mortgage Underwriter Team Leader to lead, support, direct, monitor and control a team of mortgage Underwriters in the delivery of an excellent service to customers and mortgage intermediaries. The Mortgage Underwriter Team Leader will operate within a mandate to approve specific mortgage applications in line with the Lending Policy.
- Ensure that the underwriting team provide a high quality of service to both customer and intermediaries on a consistent basis.
- Maintain and focus on resourcing requirements ensuring sufficient cover and training is continually reviewed and all risks mitigated.
- Line manage and coach all direct reports, including all aspects of performance management, personal development, conduct, sickness management, appraisals, employee administration and recruitment. Ensure Continuous Personal Development (CPD) plans are kept up to date.
- Monitor and manage workflow queues to ensure Service Level Agreement’s (SLA’s) are met and ensure quality standards are regularly tested and maintained.
- Regularly test established controls and processes across the team to ensure effective and relevant assessment on the quality of the team’s work.
- Assess the ongoing competence of their team by undertaking sample case reviews, assessing rationale, adherence to policy and mandate and appropriateness of customer outcomes.
- Review processes ensuring that they are well documented, customer focused, efficient and up to date.
- Ensure department procedures and associated manuals are easy to understand, are complete, compliant and up to date.
- Prepare regular status reports around key updates, issues and achievements for the underwriting team.
- Access departmental Key Performance Indicator’s (KPI’s) and Treating Customer Fairly (TCF) KPI’s providing information to the team as appropriate and ensure we maintain the ability to demonstrate we re meeting our TCF obligations.
- Lead in key department meetings ensuring minutes, actions and key updates are achieved.
- Regular and accurate production of key management information and reporting.
- Maintain the company’s compliance standards and own compliance training in relation to the underwriting team.
- Set high standards in relation to dealing with enquiries from intermediaries and colleagues demonstrating a desire and willingness to listen and take appropriate action when necessary.
- In line with underwriting mandate access the mortgage application and supporting documents in line with the company’s Lending Policy.
- Work closely with our teams in particular the audit and control team fostering a healthy relationship where challenge is the norm.
- Answer and address technical and complex queries from intermediaries and staff.
- Support change to ensure effective delivery of change across the team.
- Able to demonstrate a minimum of 5 years’ experience within the secured lending or residential commercial mortgage market
- Proven experience of people management
- Understanding of the regulatory environment and in particular TCF
- Proven experience in dealing with brokers and third parties