Quality Assurance Manager - Mortgages
As Shawbrook continues to grow we are looking for a Quality Assurance Manager to join our risk team based in Brentwood. You will work with each functional Head of Risk on the division’s risk to oversight, review and report on the division’s risk management activities. The Quality Assurance Manager will operate a program of regular checks and more broadly-based thematic reviews to test the standards of risk management, compliance with regulatory frameworks, risk appetite, risk policies and procedures as well as the effectiveness of risk controls operated.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Operate the risk quality assurance framework, to support embedding of the risk management framework. The scope extends across conduct, compliance, financial crime, credit and operational risk.
- Execute a scheduled program of regular sample checks and controls testing, ‘deep dives’ as well as more broadly-based thematic reviews – working in conjunction with the functional risk heads. Reviews will cover the division’s activities as well as those of internally and externally outsourced service providers.
- Prepare written reports on reviews undertaken and report findings and recommendations to the commercial divisions risk committee – agree required remediation actions and follow-up on progress to ensure items are closed. Maintain an accessible and transparent audit trail of activities and reviews.
- Provide advice and guidance on activities and controls requiring improvement as well as any associated resourcing and training needs.
- Support the self-assessment review and reporting process.
- Input to the development, review and maintenance of the Risk Management
- Framework – in particular: asset class policies; risk policies and procedures; risk appetite metrics; key risk indicators; and MI reporting.
- Monitor outputs from risk reports to inform on trends and areas for assurance checking.
- Contribute to the oversight and review of intermediary brokers - support bespoke reviews of the most significant brokers when required.
- Contribute and advise on product development as required.
- Input to risk-related project work as required, including due diligence on business and portfolio acquisitions
Suitable candidates will have the following experience:
- Risk or audit qualification preferable.
- Background in quality assurance processes regarding all areas of risk including credit, conduct and compliance, operational and financial crime.
- Audit, assurance, risk consultancy or training background an advantage
- At least 3 years’ experience in the commercial mortgage sector preferred.
- Experience of credit underwriting
Technical/Specialist Knowledge & Skills
Sound understanding of credit risk management principles, frameworks, tools and techniques including:
- Sound knowledge of quality assurance processes and gap analysis.
- Ability to translate findings into constructive solutions
- Ability to produce meaningful, concise reports at committee level.
- Regulatory frameworks – notably MCOB and SYSC.
- Risk Policies
- Excellent customer service, presentation and negotiation skills with both internal and external parties.
- High level of computer proficiency and relevant analytical software
- Good Understanding of risk and risk-related concepts
- High level of numeracy and analytical skills
- Be familiar with key risk indicators, linking these to risks and controls
- Adaptable & flexible
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good planning and organisational skills
- Enthusiastic “can do” attitude
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Accuracy & Attention to detail
- Professional and well presented
- Establishes effective working relationships at all levels
This role is a SB3 on Shawbrook's internal banding system.