Head of External Reporting
Shawbrook is a specialist UK lending and savings bank founded in 2011 to serve the needs of SMEs and individuals in the UK with a range of lending and savings products.
We differentiate ourselves by concentrating on markets where our specialist knowledge and personalised approach to underwriting offer us a competitive advantage. This supports attractive stable returns and sustainable growth and also benefits businesses and consumers in parts of the market which continue to be poorly served by traditional high street banks. Fundamental to our success is a relationship focus which puts the interests of our customers and business partners at the heart of everything we do, built on a culture which stresses the use of our experience and judgement to make decisions that balance risk, return and customer need.
We are looking for a Head of External Reporting to join our London based team. As the Head of External Reporting you will be responsible for all aspects of group external reporting and the provision of technical accounting expertise. The person will also encourage an efficient environment of sound internal controls constantly ensuring best practice is adhered to.
This role offers a career platform for a self-motivated finance professional to progress quickly in a well-respected and dynamic bank. This role will be working closely with the External Reporting team and Deputy CFO which will ensure exposure to senior management.
Annual Report and Accounts/Interim reporting
- Preparation/review/compilation of all group external reporting deliverables, provide accurate and timely external financial reporting that is in compliance with internal/external accounting policies and industry best practice;
- Identifying opportunities to re-engineer Group Financial Reporting processes and procedures and delivering best practice improvements;
- Oversee the development and maintenance of all appropriate processes and controls to contribute to the management and development of all external messages and ensure compliance with the Group Financial Reporting Control Framework;
Technical Accounting Policies
- Follow developments in external financial reporting and industry best practice and ensure that these are correctly interpreted and implemented;
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of a comprehensive Group Reporting Manual;
- Accountable for all ad hoc business queries relating to external reporting requirements through understanding and interpretation of financial information from a business perspective and communicate effectively to both internal and external stakeholders;
- Relationship and stakeholder management with external parties including auditors and corporate advisors;
- Focus on developing automated reporting tools linked to the ledger systems.
- Managing the External Reporting team and deliverables including end-end review
- Management of interaction with key stakeholders including senior management and BU teams
- Top Down Review and Challenge of Business Unit results and messaging to ensure complete and accurate reporting
- Input to the Group results insight and messaging to explain the results both internally and externally
- Work closely with the technical finance teams ensuring compliance with accounting policy
- Prepare reporting to committees to demonstrate compliance with relevant accounting, company and regulatory guidelines
- Collaborate with FP&A to understand and communicate the results consistently across Forecast and Actuals.
- Continually develop and shape future external reporting deliver
- ACA or ACCA qualified, ideally gained within public practice
Experience (type & level)
- In depth knowledge of technical accounting and reporting requirements;
- Broad and in depth understanding of banking;
- Demonstrated understanding of the external reporting process within a financial services environment;
- Thorough understanding of the principals of risk management and compliance;
- Computer literate
- Demonstrated knowledge of reporting/consolidations packages, i.e. Hyperion/TM1;
- Be up to date with compliance legislation and work diligently and efficiency to ensure internal compliance and protect the Group reputation meeting statutory reporting regulations;
- Adaptable and flexible;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Excellent planning and organisational skills;
- Enthusiastic “can do” attitude;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to prioritise and manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Professional, well presented;
- Establishes effective working relationships at all levels;
This role is an SB2 within Shawbrook’s internal banding structure