Business Assurance Manager - Manchester
Shawbrook Bank are currently recruiting a Business Assurance Manager to join an established team in our Manager office. This role provides an important part of Shawbrook’s risk management framework within Group Risk as the second Line of Defense.
Business Assurance is a proactive practice where the emphasis is on examining processes to prevent issues that ultimately impact on the quality of the activity and may ultimately impact on the Bank’s reputation and good outcomes for customers and colleagues.
Key responsibilities will include the following:
- Lead and carry out Business Assurance reviews to identify measures that prevent defects or mistakes impacting on delivering quality for the regulators, bank’s owners, senior management, colleagues and customers. This is a wide remit where the outcomes of the activity may ultimately impact on all Key Risk Categories including (and not limited to): Creditworthiness and Concentration Risk; Market & Liquidity Risk, Operational Risk, Conduct, Legal and Compliance Risk; Strategic Risk; Systems and Change Risk.
- Test adherence to policies and risk appetite including escalation via appropriate channels, including supporting the introduction of a process for timely reporting.
- Assess the bank’s risk exposures and contingency arrangements under a range of adverse environments.
- Investigate risk management processes and procedures (for the identification, measurement and control of key risk exposures) in accordance with changes to the operating environment.
- Assess the risks associated with 1LoD divisional activities and assist in compiling and maintaining a complete control framework for risk management activities.
- Undertake quality reviews, taking a risk-based approach, as part of a business assurance framework. This could include thematic reviews, regular testing of key controls, independent validation of QA/QC performed by the businesses or other methodologies as needs dictate.
- Monitor output from all 1LoD areas to identify potential operational risks and, where possible, ensure appropriate mitigating actions are in place, including recommendations for remediation, improvement of controls, staff training or coaching. Proactively identify process improvement/best practice and share as appropriate.
- Assure remediation of control failures and compliance breaches. Test complaints logging & handling and competition reporting.
- Support the head of business assurance to develop key risk indicators (KRIs) and risk appetite metrics with divisions in accordance with group risk appetite.
- Quality assure and ensure alignment of risk & control self-assessments.
- Be responsible for creating, developing and maintaining effective relationships with stakeholders in the businesses and counterparts in other functions.
- Produce high quality reports/presentation packs for sharing with key stakeholders; Maintain a full audit trail with clear records to support review conclusions, stored in accordance with the bank’s records management conventions.
- No specific qualifications needed although demonstrable proficiency in English and Maths is essential
- Relevant professional qualifications welcome (Banking etc.) and/or a willingness to study
Experience (type & level)
- Demonstrated experience of working in an assurance function within a financial institution
- Clear experience of delivery (BAU or projects) and taking responsibility for devising assurance tests
Technical/Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications
- Knowledge of UK banking (customer service, credit. financial crime, operations) and risk management & controls principles appropriate to the three lines of defence model
- Understanding of and compliance with group policies including conduct risk
- A professional and well-presented self-starter requiring minimal supervision
- Excellent attention to detail with a ‘can do’ attitude and excellent team skills
- Ability to think creatively when resolving problems and/or identify alternatives where established procedures may not exist, ensuring an improved customer experience
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and organisational skills
- Able to work under pressure, whether alone or as part of a small team
- Willingness to challenge, collaborate and adapt
This role is an SB4 within Shawbrook’s internal banding structure