Employer reference: REF778N
Job location: Brentwood or Glasgow
Shawbrook is a specialist bank driven by a purpose to power up ingenuity to create opportunity, every single day.
We offer a diverse range of savings and loan products. From personal and business savings accounts and loans for weddings and new cars, to complex financial credit facilities for businesses requiring significant investment and mortgages for landlords with multiple properties – no two customers are ever the same.
We give our customers the best-of-both worlds; uniquely combining strong digital capabilities with human expertise and ingenuity to deliver the best outcomes. We rise to the challenge of a complex case or unconventional circumstances, and we love to make things happen. By being creative, practical, and personal, we know we can always find the right solution for our customers.
If you’re willing to roll up your sleeves, contribute new ideas and believe anything is possible, you’re our kind of person
Work with us because you:
- Want to be part of a bank built for the dynamics of the modern world
- Relish a challenge and enjoy a fast-paced, innovative and hardworking culture
- Enjoy finding new and better ways to solve complexity and make things happen
- Want to belong to a diverse culture that stands shoulder to shoulder with minority and underrepresented groups
- Care about society and the environment and want to be part of a business that cares too
- Want to continue to grow professionally and be the best version of yourself
The Role & Responsibilities
The key task of the Underwriting Team Leader is to provide leadership, guidance and motivation to a team of Underwriters to ensure that they provide an efficient and accurate level of underwriting and risk assessment to the highest levels of customer service at all times.
- Proactively manage the performance of the team through a monthly 1-1 and annual appraisal
- Develop the skills of the team through a documented program of coaching, sampling and feedback.
- Utilise performance management tools to address any under performance
- Responsible for the working patterns of the team, ensuring coverage is in place across the divisions opening hours. Make amendments due to swaps, coverage and distribution of rota to the team.
- Lead team, allocate work, create discussions in the team with effective communication
- Assist the team with underwriting of loan applications during times of high volumes
- Manage workloads and SLA’s on a daily basis
- Hold and minute monthly team meetings
- Compile management information, analysing the data to identify trends and initiate corrective steps to improve business performance and service levels, and the effectiveness and efficiency of the underwriting team.
- Manage and monitor change within the team to ensure full co-operation and adherence to change so that all change programs are implemented and maintained in a positive and timely manner, with an emphasis on ‘right first time’
- Ensure that all team members are aware of the importance of compliance and regulatory requirements including mandatory training.
- Good computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Candidates will have a good educational background with proficiency demonstrable in Maths and English
- Previous experience of underwriting within unsecured lending
- Experience of dealing with brokers and third parties
- Previous experience of people management is preferred
- Computer literate (good knowledge of MS Office suite – Excel, Word, Power-Point)
- Knowledge of Conduct Rules
- Excellent consumer lending regulatory knowledge and understanding including FCA, JMLSG, BCOBBS
- Competent in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Ability to understand and fully comply with documented processes and procedures
- Ability to deliver monitoring results
- Good analytical skills, confident and self-assured.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Adaptable & flexible
- Excellent communication skills required including verbal and written.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Enthusiastic “can do” attitude
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Accuracy & attention to detail
- Professional, well presented
- Establishes effective working relationships at all levels
- Customer-focused approach
- Strong sense of ownership, planning and execution driven.
- Self-starter who is action and results orientated
Your Wellbeing - We take your health and well-being very seriously by providing a range of benefits to give you and your family peace of mind. These include:
- Market leading family friendly policies such as access to our Maternity, Adoption and Paternity policies from Day 1 of your employment
- Free access to Headspace, a mindfulness & meditation digital health app
- Free access to Peppy digital health app that offers personalised support through fertility treatment becoming a parent or menopause
- EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) - Offering you support on a wide range of subjects including financial concerns, mental wellbeing and more general queries around family, work, housing, and health
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounts on gym membership
- Contributory pension scheme & death in service
Your Lifestyle - It’s important you strike the right balance between your work and personal life. We provide benefits to support you when at work and when you’re enjoying your leisure time.
- Minimum of 27 days holiday per year
- Option to buy or sell holiday days through our flexi-holiday scheme
- Discounts on gym membership nationwide
- Access to discounts on a range of high street and online brands
- Community support and charitable giving
Your Contribution - We’re focused on rewarding those that go the extra mile in helping us achieve our goals.
- Participation in our annual discretionary bonus scheme designed to reward your contribution to our success
- Proudly Shawbrook recognition scheme focused on recognising our role models and thanking our colleagues